Monday, October 14, 2013

My Dear Em


     Picture the awkwardness in fifth grade and multiply that by about 20 and BAM!! ME!!! I am not even lying, maybe exaggerating just a tad but seriously, not too much! Fifth grade was an extremely awkward time in my life: super short boy hair, the start of crushing and much more. However, that is also the year I met someone very special in my life. I met someone who I can honestly say I will see us rocking away in our rocking chairs when we are old and retired. Of course I did not know it at the time. I heard there was a girl joining our fifth grade class. If you have grown up in a small Christian school, you know this is a big deal! Everyone starts wondering what group she will join and what role she will take in the class. Even though this was a monumental moment in my life I cannot clearly remember if I officially met her before she joined our school or when she visited. But I do remember the day I went up to her and said, “Hi! My name is Alejandra! Nice to meet you!” She looked shy and quite but she also looked nice. Once we met, I asked her to sit with me during lunch break. She said she would and I was so very excited. Our friendship slowly grew during our lunch and recess times. Then we HIT middle school. Our friendship kept growing even though we were not in the same homeroom or hung out with the same people. It was not until my sophomore year in high school that Emily Whelchel truly became my best friend. Emily has been such a faithful friend, sticking with me through thick and thin. She was the first person I ever really opened up to and was completely honest with.

My Dear Em,
      You will never truly know how much you have impacted my life. Your loyalty and kindness have encouraged me in many ways. You have pushed me to look ahead and above. You have encouraged me to pursue deep understanding, knowledge, and wisdom. Not only have you listened to my dreams but dreamed right beside me. You brought me to our sweet family, and through you I gained a father, mother, two sisters (including you), and a sweet brother. Thousands of memories come to my mind when I think back on our friendship. Things such as running the same red light three times, flopping on the floor by your door, crying in cars, videos of me half asleep, pranks we pulled on others, our drive as we went off to college for the first time, all-night talks of the future, you purposely written MANY “cheesy” love stories, poems and songs just to see me cry are all memories I cherish.
I remember when I went off to the boarding school and you constantly push me in my relationship with the Lord through emails and facebook. When you stuck to me then, I knew we would be friends for a very long time but I never imagined one day we would also be sisters. The Lord was so very sweet to me on the day He brought you to San Jacinto Christian Academy and I met you. Thank you my sweet sis for all the joy you have brought to my life. I hope that one day I can be half the friend and sister you have been to me. HAPPY BIRTHDAY my sweet Emily. I love you with all my heart!
 

1 comment:

  1. Haha, this was so funny and so touching at the same time! I love you dearly, sister! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete